Friday, July 21, 2006

Accountability

“Because we are worshipers by nature, we are always (1) giving proper worship to God, (2) serving something [or someone] else, or (3) worshiping ourselves, demanding to be the center of our own universe.”

- Paul David Tripp. Instruments in the Redeemer’s Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R
Publishing, 2002. p 46


In light of this reality, I need to ask myself these questions and then ask these questions of those who give me the passport of accountability:

1. This past week, have I given God proper worship in all areas of my life? (Mat 22:37)
2. Can I honestly say that I have done all things for God’s glory this week? What areas or situations could have been handled differently in order to align myself with the truth that I am to do “all for the glory of God” (1 Cor 10:31)? Are any of these things still good things, but just done out of improper motives? (Mat 6:1-8)
3. In what ways have I attempted to please other people at the expense of transferring my worship to them, their opinion, or their influence instead of worshiping Christ? (Gal 1:10; 1 Thess 2:2-6)
4. Which situations this week provided an occasion for me to choose between pride and humility? How did I choose? Was this the proper response? (Luke 14:11; James 4:6; 1 Peter 5:6) What Scripture passage can I refer to support my decision?
5. Have I sought forgiveness from the Lord for any of the above situations that resulted in my sin? Are any of the above situations sins that I need to confess to the individuals involved and seek their forgiveness and restoration in the relationship? (Mat 18:15-20). When am I going to walk through this process?
6. Is there a passage that I need to meditate on this week and apply that will cause me to respond more like Christ in any of the above situations? What steps am I going to take to make sure that I follow through with this commitment? (Mat 5:37) Who can I enlist to help me in this endeavor? (Pro 27:17; Gal 6:2)


Although these questions may not be new by nature, they may be new by application for my life. In discussing the nature and practicality of accountability over the last several weeks I have come to an understanding that I need to be more proactive and seeking accountability in my own life. The Lord has graciously chosen to provide for me brothers who are committed to seeking a greater relationship with Christ through the process of accountability. It has come a time when I need to utilize this tool as one who wants to take his relationship with Christ seriously.


May Jesus Christ make men like Him

No comments: