Sunday, November 20, 2005

The Word From The LORD Was Rare

This is something that I wrote on May 12, 2004. Strangely, it is mightily applicable today.

“Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the LORD before Eli. And the word from the LORD was rare in those days, visions were infrequent.” 1 Samuel 3:1 NASB

I believe whole heartedly that the Lord led me to read this passage this morning. As you all know, the last several weeks (over a month now) I have been in somewhat of a spiritual slump where I am simply not hearing His voice (“the word of the LORD [is] rare in [these] days.”) As I was praying last night, I told the Lord that I don’t understand this funk but I know that there must be a purpose for it. I know there are many things that he wants to show me and when I am on the other side of this mountain and look back I will see how He was at work. But I’m not there yet.

In Samuel’s day, God just wasn’t speaking to many people. Throughout history, God has chosen time and time again to not speak, to not reveal Himself, or to delay His plan to wait on His timing, for His glory. Apparently, Samuel was serving with Eli during one of those seasons, but what was his reaction? Samuel “was ministering to the LORD.” Samuel was not concerned with his feelings of security or “sensing” the presence of the LORD, he was only concerned with being faithful to what he was set apart to do. Even though Samuel could not audibly hear the direction that God was giving him, he continued along a path of righteousness until the Lord decided to reveal Himself again.

Later in this passage it says that the Lord came and “stood” in the presence of Samuel and called his name. What was Samuel’s response? Hopefully, by his grace, my response will be the same, “Speak, for Your servant is listening” (3:10).

Father, I want to get to a point in my life where I am seeking Your face and not just Your hand. Although I want to see Your hand moving in my life and in the lives of others, there is nothing that will ever compare to standing face to face with You in the light of Your glory. Help me to desire that. Your word tells me that if I delight myself in You, You will give me the desires of my heart, and God I confess that my desire to seek You has been minimal at best. I read, I get nothing. I pray, it bounces off the ceiling. Intellectually I know that these statements are both untrue as Your word promises that Your word will never go out and return void and You are always inclined to hear my prayer, but that is the way I feel. Help me to be faithful to what it is that You have called me to do, minister to You and Your people, even in the times of silence. Jesus, I want to be Your servant, and I want to listen to You. You say “he who has ears, let him hear.” May You be my hearing aid and act as a funnel for Your voice. In Your name, Amen.

No comments: