Saturday, December 24, 2005

What Might Have Been and Still May Be

My wife is currently in a meeting of friends that she has had from at least sixth grade, some maybe longer. These are the types of friends that gather at least once a year to reminisce about "the way we were" as well as to catch up on what has occurred since the last meeting. Unfortunately, meetings like these are relegated to once a year, however, this may be what makes them so special. There are some folks that, no matter the amount of time that has passed since the last encounter, can sit again as though nothing has changed. These are the relationships that one lives for. These are the relationships that truly have the ability to define a person and can be a sense of security for those who have "grown up" yet still do not have a clue as to who they want to be when they "grow up."

I never had those types of friends growing up. Things change, people change, and ultimately geography divides a union that used to be. I remember an individual whom I met my first day of kindergarten and he became my first friend. We learned that we lived in the same subdivision and through the years we always did so. We had mutual friends, spent the night at one another's house, and shared stories about girls and grades. Our friendship drifted, however, as we grew older and we changed. When we were in 9th grade, we took a trip together (not so much together, but we were both a part of a large group) to Denver, CO. This trip changed our lives. It was during this trip that Christ called both of us to Him and although I did not quite understand the ramifications of such a calling, I knew that I had been redeemed, and granted righteousness to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. I also knew that my friend would be there as well. The very first friend I had in kindergarten was also the first friend I had in the kingdom.

After this trip, there was very little that we saw of one another. Even during the trip we did not converse that much, for I had made choices in previous years that alienated myself from him. I chose a road leading to destruction, he chose the road that was much more fruitful. I think of him often as I sense we have some sort of bond that was never fully accomplished. Through the internet, I have found that his mother now works for my former church and his father is an elder there. I have heard through the grapevine that he has been married and a friend of my sister chided, "Did you know that he...is...a...Christian?" I was secretly proud to hear this. Not because I had anything to do with his conversion, but that I was there, and I was converted at the same time. Even more, he has chosen to live out the decision for all to see, even though it may have come as a result of losing out on some so-called friendships. I must confess, that I am one of those who made the choice, and I missed out. One day I will call him; one day I will apologize for my errors. One day we will meet again and I might be granted the privilege to call him friend.

1 comment:

TJ said...

Hmmm. Sounds like you have a phone call to make. God bless you when the time comes to pick up the phone.

T